Technology in Second Grade...

I am teaching second grade in a Title and ELL building. We have a lot of poverty, language, and behavior issues. Usually, in the day-to-day, technology is the last thing on students minds. I want to change that. I want to show students how technology can help them. It can help with their creativity, their production, and their knowledge. Since a lot of these students do not have much technology at home, it is my job at school to prepare them for a future with technology. Appropriate use of technology will prepare each student for their future. Every job I can think of uses technology in some way. Most students today have been using mobile devices like tablets and smartphones to play and learn since they could crawl. It seems only seems logical to align today's classrooms with the way that students are familiar with learning. We use iPads, apps, Apple TV, laptops and typing keyboards to work on skills that are useful to the present day.

21st Century Classrooms should have the opportunity to enhance collaboration. I try to implement ways throughout the day that students are working with teams or partners. We are always "synergizing" in my classroom. I believe students should also have digital citizenship skills, or at least working on them in second grade. This is technology based but where the teacher becomes an encourager and coach. 


The learning environment should look fun and engaging. Integrating technology in education helps students stay engaged, but other areas of the classroom need to be engaging and creative for their little minds. I love letting them loose in the classroom and letting them create. This might be with an iPad, it might not. I allow them to use any medium they want. They have journals, notebooks, whiteboards, etc. I also allow them to do it wherever they chose. They love pillows, funky chairs, and even the floor. This year, students built a small tent with blankets and poles and it stayed up most of the year. It really helped them take pride in their classroom and their second-grade year. 


Comments

  1. Jaime,
    You are correct in that every job in today's world has some form of technology! That is awesome that are always having your students working together or in partners! I think students learn so much that way! It sounds like your classroom culture is created by your students! I love that you let them make a tent, how creative! I also like how your students have voice and choice when they create in your classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaime,
    I enjoyed reading your post! I loved how you mentioned all the amazing things that technology can provide to students in a classroom. It really gives them a chance to be creative and take what they know and move it a step further. Once students learn how to use the technology appropriately, they can do wonders with it. As you mentioned, almost everything we do these days is accompanied by technology. As early as we can show students the importance of using technology appropriately and effectively, the better.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Collaborative Technology

LMS