Digital Citizenship
How and when do you teach Digital Citizenship?
"We should drop the word digital in contexts like this one because we’re really just teaching citizenship—these are the skills and knowledge that students need to navigate the world today." - Anne Collier
When I think about my students, past present and future, Digital Citizenship is definitely an issue.
We must adequately teach these skills and guide students to experience situations where they can apply knowledge.
Students in my classes surprisingly still do not quite understand internet safety, even after the past decade of issues such as cyberbullying, social media, and all around internet safety. A lot of my students do not have technology at home, so at school, it is like candy. We try to take digital citizenship very seriously and rarely use the iPads or laptops until after weeks of appropriate teaching and personal contracts are signed.
So, I especially liked the article How to Teach Internet Safety to Younger Elementary Students by Mary Beth Hertz. It was helpful hints to teach young students to begin to understand how to be safe online.
A lesson plan for helping students as young as kindergarten begin to understand how to be safe online. The author gives examples, websites, and videos that are a very good review of helping young students understand that just like on the streets, there are strangers on the internet. It is the beginning of how to teach students to act responsibly online.
I also read an article about the 9 Ps of Digital Citizenship. It is called "What Your Students Really Need to Know About Digital Citizenship" and it was written by Vicki Davis. This article went into much more detail about internet safety and gave me a few ideas that I had never thought of. The 9 P's are:
Passwords, Private Information, Personal Information, Permission, Protection, Professionalism, Personal Brand, Photographs, Property
The author makes this point: "During the year, I touch on each of the points above with lessons and class discussions, but just talking is not enough. Students need to experience it to become effective digital citizens." I love that! I think students do need to really understand what we are talking about when we talk about plagiarism, personal information, and especially pictures and photographs. Allowing them to experience sharing and connecting online with others in a variety of environments is key.
"We should drop the word digital in contexts like this one because we’re really just teaching citizenship—these are the skills and knowledge that students need to navigate the world today." - Anne Collier
When I think about my students, past present and future, Digital Citizenship is definitely an issue.
We must adequately teach these skills and guide students to experience situations where they can apply knowledge.
Students in my classes surprisingly still do not quite understand internet safety, even after the past decade of issues such as cyberbullying, social media, and all around internet safety. A lot of my students do not have technology at home, so at school, it is like candy. We try to take digital citizenship very seriously and rarely use the iPads or laptops until after weeks of appropriate teaching and personal contracts are signed.
So, I especially liked the article How to Teach Internet Safety to Younger Elementary Students by Mary Beth Hertz. It was helpful hints to teach young students to begin to understand how to be safe online.
A lesson plan for helping students as young as kindergarten begin to understand how to be safe online. The author gives examples, websites, and videos that are a very good review of helping young students understand that just like on the streets, there are strangers on the internet. It is the beginning of how to teach students to act responsibly online.
I also read an article about the 9 Ps of Digital Citizenship. It is called "What Your Students Really Need to Know About Digital Citizenship" and it was written by Vicki Davis. This article went into much more detail about internet safety and gave me a few ideas that I had never thought of. The 9 P's are:
Passwords, Private Information, Personal Information, Permission, Protection, Professionalism, Personal Brand, Photographs, Property
The author makes this point: "During the year, I touch on each of the points above with lessons and class discussions, but just talking is not enough. Students need to experience it to become effective digital citizens." I love that! I think students do need to really understand what we are talking about when we talk about plagiarism, personal information, and especially pictures and photographs. Allowing them to experience sharing and connecting online with others in a variety of environments is key.
Jaime,
ReplyDeleteI totally agree that we need to do more than just talk with students about being safe online. Exposing students to a variety of environments gives them the best experience. I also read and enjoyed Mary Hertz's article about safety for young elementary students. I as well have a majority of students who do not have access to internet at home. This does make our job of teaching online safety even more important!