Collaborative Technology
"Two heads are better than one, not because either is infallible, but because they are unlikely to go wrong in the same direction." - C.S. Lewis
Integrating collaborative technology into a second-grade classroom can be exciting. Since the purpose of education is to prepare students to be successful in their future, we have to think of the digital age they live in. Walking into my classroom, you would experience students in conversation, collaboration and hands-on learning. Students are practicing communication, goal setting and life skills that allow them to thrive in the classroom and beyond.
Technology is definitely woven throughout the day, as a tool to empower and challenge students. Yet, to create a collaborative learning space that considers this was a bit challenging. First and foremost, you have to give them explicit instruction. Teaching kids to collaborate with one another using patience, eye contact, and appropriate tone to be successful is one way I prepare kids for their collaborative technology focus. I always use the acronym T.E.A.M. with my students: together, everyone achieves more. Seamless integration of technology into classroom furniture and lessons can also create personalized paths to learning. Designing a collaboration station with the students is something I have always wanted to do. Give them chairs, tables, pillows, etc. and invite student groups to work and collaborate with it. The article Collaborative Learning Spaces tells us that physical spaces can then be connected to virtual spaces through creativity and productivity apps.
The most simple lesson to then start with might be designing collaborative writing spaces like Writeboard or Google's Docs and Forms. These tools can support all sorts of collaborations, ranging from students working on a book report along with a teacher to a group of students uniting for a class project or a whole class teaming up with a class in another state on a story being written chapter by chapter. I also believe in Seesaw for collaboration. I think the positive social media skills that students are learning are helpful for their peer awareness and communication.

Another thing I have heard of is creating "international learning teams" with students around the world, and using apps -- such as Nearpod, Padlet, Kahoot!, Google Drive, and Periscope -- in global collaborations and projects. One thing I would personally like to work on next year is using Skype. I believe the global initiative that they are working on with teachers is so neat. In the past, I have always done pen pals with another second-grade class, and we would Skype with them once, maybe twice. But to do this with a class in another country (or state) would be so cool. My students, who are very cultural already, would be so engaged with skyping other classes, or even a professional to talk to. I see my class working with others discussing a topic or a book and using Google Docs to weekly to establish a relationship. They would get real-life feedback and see a different cultural view. It's the new and improved 'pen pals!'
As for cost and dilemmas, I have had a lot of luck with amazing technology in my district. Most of the apps and technology that are considered empowering for students are free. And if they aren't, my district is really fabulous when it comes to grants. A lot of teachers have a class Osmo, where students can pair up and collaborate with tech also. As well as using iPads and Microsoft SurfacePro's, an Apple TV is added to every flat-screen projector, which allows us to mirror devices anywhere in the building. They pay for Nearpod, ExplainEverything, and ClassKick, which are all important collaborative technology that I use as much as possible.
Integrating collaborative technology into a second-grade classroom can be exciting. Since the purpose of education is to prepare students to be successful in their future, we have to think of the digital age they live in. Walking into my classroom, you would experience students in conversation, collaboration and hands-on learning. Students are practicing communication, goal setting and life skills that allow them to thrive in the classroom and beyond.
Technology is definitely woven throughout the day, as a tool to empower and challenge students. Yet, to create a collaborative learning space that considers this was a bit challenging. First and foremost, you have to give them explicit instruction. Teaching kids to collaborate with one another using patience, eye contact, and appropriate tone to be successful is one way I prepare kids for their collaborative technology focus. I always use the acronym T.E.A.M. with my students: together, everyone achieves more. Seamless integration of technology into classroom furniture and lessons can also create personalized paths to learning. Designing a collaboration station with the students is something I have always wanted to do. Give them chairs, tables, pillows, etc. and invite student groups to work and collaborate with it. The article Collaborative Learning Spaces tells us that physical spaces can then be connected to virtual spaces through creativity and productivity apps.
The most simple lesson to then start with might be designing collaborative writing spaces like Writeboard or Google's Docs and Forms. These tools can support all sorts of collaborations, ranging from students working on a book report along with a teacher to a group of students uniting for a class project or a whole class teaming up with a class in another state on a story being written chapter by chapter. I also believe in Seesaw for collaboration. I think the positive social media skills that students are learning are helpful for their peer awareness and communication.

Another thing I have heard of is creating "international learning teams" with students around the world, and using apps -- such as Nearpod, Padlet, Kahoot!, Google Drive, and Periscope -- in global collaborations and projects. One thing I would personally like to work on next year is using Skype. I believe the global initiative that they are working on with teachers is so neat. In the past, I have always done pen pals with another second-grade class, and we would Skype with them once, maybe twice. But to do this with a class in another country (or state) would be so cool. My students, who are very cultural already, would be so engaged with skyping other classes, or even a professional to talk to. I see my class working with others discussing a topic or a book and using Google Docs to weekly to establish a relationship. They would get real-life feedback and see a different cultural view. It's the new and improved 'pen pals!'
As for cost and dilemmas, I have had a lot of luck with amazing technology in my district. Most of the apps and technology that are considered empowering for students are free. And if they aren't, my district is really fabulous when it comes to grants. A lot of teachers have a class Osmo, where students can pair up and collaborate with tech also. As well as using iPads and Microsoft SurfacePro's, an Apple TV is added to every flat-screen projector, which allows us to mirror devices anywhere in the building. They pay for Nearpod, ExplainEverything, and ClassKick, which are all important collaborative technology that I use as much as possible.
It is cool to see that you are using tech with your 2nd graders, and interestingly, I find that I still have to teach my 7th graders how to use patience, eye contact, and appropriate tone when we are doing collaborative group. One of the things I use in my class is assigning roles for the group members. I use a HS program called POGIL that has four roles: Facilitator, Quality Control, Spokesperson, and Scribe. By giving the students a specific job they remain involved in the collaboration and if one person doesn't do their job it can affect the whole group. All students must present questions to the spokesperson because that is the only person I will speak to, and when I grade their work I choose one packet to grade, so all students must be together when answering questions and the quality control person makes sure that is happening.
ReplyDeleteBy teaching them these roles, they begin to assume the roles in other things like labs or group projects. As the year goes on it (hopefully) gets easier and easier for them to work with each other in other settings.
Jamie,
ReplyDeleteI love that you shared the idea of "international learning teams". I use the majority of the tools that you listed but, I have never thought to use them for "international learning teams". I also would love to use Skype more in my classroom this year. I was very inspired from Mrs. S's presentation in the Blended Learning course. I had no idea that Skype could be such a beneficial tool in the classroom. I love the idea of having digital "pen pals". I am hoping to create a few classes to become digital pals with. I think students would really enjoy getting to Skype while also learning about someone and somewhere new. I also see great potential to get students excited about writing! I am not sure about in your classroom but, writing has been a great struggle for engagement in my own classroom. I see having Skype pen pals as a great solution for engagement. Thank you for sharing such wonderful ideas this week! I hope to hear about your experience with digital pen pals soon.
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteJamie,
ReplyDeleteI really like the idea of creating collaborative learning spaces for your kids to work together. It sounds like this is a place where students can go on their own initiative to work together. Many times our students only work together when they are asked to do so. By making working together fun, you are showing students that there is value in teamwork from a young age. As a high school teacher I must say thank you for encouraging these traits with young students so that they have them by time they get to me!
Jamie,
ReplyDeleteI love the TEAM acronym. I have not used that before, but am definitely going to next year! Thank you for that! I do love Google for collaborating. I usually have my students utilize it for group projects and presentations-that way they can each have their own slides. i also like it for peer (and teacher) editing. They can make comments to each other off to the side. I feel that takes peer editing to a deeper level than in the past where they had to have face to face conversations about each other's papers.
I also have not tried any type of international learning teams. I just came across a pretty cool site: ePals by Cricket Media. It has global collaborative units, and they set you up with a classroom. I am anxious to try it next year.
Jaime,
ReplyDeleteI could relate to a lot of points in your post. I agree it is important to not only set an expectation to what collaborative learning looks like, but also provide an adequate space for this type of learning to occur. I have been thinking about how I want to rework my room next year to create more spaces where students can work in groups. Lastly, I am glad too that our school district is so great about encouraging and empowering teachers to use new online resources. Its makes trying new things in the classroom easy!